Six things you need to know about Saudi designer Suad Al-Fozan

Saudi designer Suad Al-Fozan’s Vaya Fashion is known for its elegant designs. Here, Al-Fozan sheds light on the history of the label, her clientele and her design ethos.

International showcases
Vaya Fashion has been showcased on the sidelines of Paris Fashion Week with the Saudi Fashion Commission’s Saudi 100 Brands initiative. The designer has also shown her pieces at the South Molton Street pop-up boutique in London.

Seasonal demands
“Of course, (buying clothes) are seasonal,” Al-Fozan told Arab News. The demand for kaftans starts two or three months before Ramadan, while travel wear usually comes before the summer. The demand for abayas are throughout the year,” she added

Gulf clients
Today, the designer estimates that 85 percent of her clients are from the Gulf region, with the remaining 15 percent hailing from the expatriate community, including Western buyers.

Versatile offerings
Al-Fozan said she tries “to make pieces that are suitable for more than one occasion… I try to offer a piece that a woman can wear during a gathering in Ramadan, or a dinner party or any other occasion some other time.”

Global influences
The talented creative counts the likes of French designer Stephane Rolland, Lebanese designer Elie Saab and Italian designer Giorgio Armani among her influences. Saudi Arabia’s Princess Reema Bint Bandar Al-Saud and Emirati singer Ahlam have been spotted in her creations.

Back to her roots
“Because Riyadh now is a universal city… all eyes are on Riyadh,” she said, explaining why her next goal is to stage a showcase of a new collection of designs in her home country’s capital.